Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Kale and Butternut Squash Saute

So I use to get a bunch of health and fitness magazines sent to me and I would read them, rip out the recipes that I was interested in trying and put them in a book until I got the chance to make them.

Well, this was a recipe I had pulled out back in 2012 and never made until we moved and I was unpacking and stumbled upon the recipe. And while I was definitely missing out on not making it sooner, I guess you could say it was completely worth the wait! It is healthy, super yummy, quick and easy and a one dish wonder!


I made this and ate it for a week... if you feel like "bulking" it up a bit you can add rice pasta, as I did one day, or you can do couscous, quinoa, rice, whatever you are in the mood for.


The first time I made this, I followed the recipe exactly (minus the walnuts because I did not have them, nor do I like them).


I then shared this recipe with my friend Liza and she made it and had me try it and she used dried cherries instead of cranberries and feta instead of goat cheese (it was deeeeelicious!).


In making this for a side dish for thanksgiving tomorrow, I used cranberries, feta and toasted almonds.  So as you can see, this recipe is quite versatile depending on your taste.


This is meant to be a main dish, but can easily be had as a side dish to accompany any meat or fish.


Let me know if you try it and how you liked it!


The pictures below are mine, but the recipe comes from fitnessmagazine.com.


XOXO- B


Food Facts:

A half cup of cooked butternut squash provides more than 80% of your daily vitamin A requirements for just 41 calories.  The gourd is also a good source of fiber and vitamin C. -- Fitness Magazine

One cup of chopped raw kale provides more than 100% of the daily value of vitamins A, C and K.  It also contains lutein, a type of carotenoid (organic pigment) responsible for the plant's color and nutrients.  Lutein helps keep eyes and vision healthy. -- WebMD

Ingredients:

2tbsp EVOO (I used grape-seed oil because that is what I have and cannot tell a difference)
3lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes (about 3.5 cups)
1/2 diced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4.5 cups chopped fresh kale
1tsp grated lemon zest  (if you can, buy organic because you will be eating the zest)
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt (I used pink Himalayan sea salt)
1/2 tsp black pepper (I used fresh cracked pepper)
2 tbsp dried cranberries (or cherries)
4 tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans toasted (or almonds)
4 tbsp chopped crumbled goat cheese (or feta)  

Directions: 


In lg. skillet, heat oil over med-high heat.  Add squash, onions and garlic.  Cook, stirring constantly until squash is lightly browned and slightly tender, about 7 mins. 


Add kale, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and cook until kale is wilted and squash is tender, 5-7 minutes.  Remove from heat. 


Put kale and squash in a dish and toast nuts in same pan (or you can toast them in the oven). 


Add dried cranberries and nuts, toss to combine.  Sprinkle with cheese.



Note: I did not toss this one yet, because I will reheat on thanksgiving and toss before serving. YUM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment